Choosing a residential designer to extend or remodel your family home isn’t easy. You need the right designer who has the specific skills and experience for your home project. The right fit between you and your designer is key.
This may or may not be me!
In my experience the best way of finding out whether I am the right fit is to fully understand what you are looking for. This is achieved through my free Initial Telephone Consultation and my Initial Home Consultation. If for some reason I then discover that we are not the ideal fit, you are then free to take the report to another designer for them to continue the process.
I started undertaking this process a few years ago because I saw a huge issue in the residential extension and remodelling industry of people starting design and construction before they had fully done their research and homework.
The consequence of this inadequate upfront research of needs and options is like building a house on bad foundations. The foundations are the most important part of the whole house because everything is built on top. It’s very expensive to change the foundations once you have started to build on top of them. But it is very easy to change them if they are simply lines on a plan.
So I spend a little more time on the research than most other companies who rush their clients into the design phase. It only causes cost overruns later if we take shortcuts and don’t establish solid foundations.
The Home Consultation is the most important step because it provides the foundational thinking that everything else is built upon and provides incredible value to you. For this service, I only charge a nominal £125.00 to cover a small portion of my time and travel. Here is what I aim to achieve:
- I will meet to you to listen to your requirements and to provide you with an experienced designer’s opinion to the feasibility of your project, one who is knowledgeable of undertaking home extensions & remodels;
- Discuss the design and potential solutions your site could accommodate;
- Discuss the look and feel of the potential scheme;
- Discuss the planning viability of the project from my experience;
- Discuss any obstacles and how to avoid or get round them such as boundary/party wall issues, drainage issues and build over agreements, planning issues and construction/maintenance issues;
- Provide preliminary rough cost of your extension for budget use;
- Make you aware of all the legal requirements;
- Provide advice as to the next steps;
- Provide a report on the above including a schedule of services and fee proposal for the next stages of your project.
The valuable insights you gain from this first step can be used by myself or any other designer and will ultimately produce a better result for you.